As a medical equipment fitting and supply company, we understand how important it can be to get clear communication from doctors. We’ve collected a few tips that you can employ to ensure that you understand exactly the what the patient you care for needs.
- Write questions down so you won’t forget them.
- Be clear about what you want to say to the doctor. Try not to ramble.
- If you have lots of things to talk about, make a consultation appointment, so the doctor can allow enough time to meet with you in an unhurried way.
- Educate yourself about your loved one’s disease or disability. With all the information on the Internet it is easier than ever before.
- Learn the routine at your doctor’s office and/or the hospital so you can make the system work for you, not against you.
- Recognize that not all questions have answers—especially those beginning with “why.”
- Separate your anger and sense of impotence about not being able to help your loved one as much as you would like from your feeling about the doctor. Remember, you are both on the same side.
- Appreciate what the doctor is doing to help and say thank you from time to time.
As always, if you need home medical equipment, fittings, nutrition supplies, and more, you can count on the professionals here at Major Medical. Reach out to us to learn more, or visit one of our nine locations in Aurora, Colorado Springs, Denver, Fort Collins, Greeley, Lakewood, Longmont, Loveland, and Pueblo.